- Type: Full-time
- Location: CA - Canada (Other)
- Compensation: Competitive Compensation Package
You are an exceptionally qualified engineering professional with extensive technical knowledge and experience in health and safety compliance in the mining industry. You are a subject matter expert who is highly skilled and providing recommendations and direction to employers and workers in proper engineering and design standards and best practices. Your expertise and experience enable you to conduct conducts a variety of evaluations of the civil, mechanical and electrical engineering aspects of proposed and/or existing mine sites. You demonstrate professional and sound judgement to effectively manage the responsibility of a position that has significant financial and operational implications for the company.
Our client is committed to:
- Providing an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional to engage in a challenging and rewarding position.
Located in Iqaluit, NU, as Senior Occupational Health and Safety Inspector/Engineer, you will:
- Conduct worksite inspections and assessments, review and evaluate Occupational Health and Safety Programs and direct implementation of corrective measure to ensure compliance with NT and NU Acts and regulations.
- Implement enforcement decisions, prepare reports, and provide interpretation related to the Acts and Regulations and OHS best practices.
- Lead and direct education and awareness for compliance requirements to promote the internal responsibility system and enforcement of the Acts and Regulations.
- Identify emerging trends in workplace health and safety and uses this information to assist employers in updating their Safety Management Systems (SMS) to enhance their Internal Responsibility System (IRS).
- Direct investigations of worksite incidents of a serious nature, dangerous occurrences, liaises with other agencies as required and provide recommendations to the Chief for enforcement strategy including prosecution.
- Investigate and issue written directions to employers and documents notice-of-danger at worksites, and rules on right to refuse work cases in accordance with the legislation.
- Supervise project teams to identify, develop and educate stakeholders on the implementation of best practices to reduce the frequency of worksite incidents and injuries.
- Evaluate OHS tools and methods and makes recommendations for modifications to existing assessment tools to ensure appropriate use in different industrial sectors.
- Provide technical expertise in relation to engineering, mine design and operation, mine rescue, explosives handling.
- Conduct engineering and design reviews for approval by the Chief including
- Mine design to assess ground stability of the active and proposed workings of the mine, design of waste dumps and surface impoundments including a surveillance and instrumentation program, and stability of slopes on abandonment.
- Ensure mechanical and mobile equipment is designed in accordance with good engineering practice and constructed in accordance with a design and plans certified by a professional engineer.
- Review “Safety Plans” and “Work Plans” submitted by exploration companies, for approval by the Chief.
- Evaluate candidates to confirm qualifications to obtain various certificates and applications for variances to the regulations and makes recommendations to the Chief.
- Collaborate to build relationships internally and externally to promote awareness including identifying emerging trends and providing presentations on relevant and or emerging issues.
What the successful candidate will bring:
- PEng in relevant discipline (preferably mining) and eligible for registration in NT and NU. With 5+ years of experience in the mining/exploration industry.
- A CRSP (Certified Registered Safety Professional) and an OHS Certificate or Diploma or ability to acquire would be considered an asset.
- Expert knowledge of surface and underground mine engineering practices and demonstrated experience working in various mining methods.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the Mine Health and Safety Act, Safety Act & Explosive Use Act and related Regulations as well as investigation principles and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of safety management systems; audit and inspections processes; and a general understanding in a variety of health and safety areas such as workplace inspections, OH&S committees, personal protective equipment, and emergency measures.
- Experience in mentoring and training in cross functional occupations.
- Experience researching, analyzing, and explaining safe work practices.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills combined with effective time management, organizational, prioritization and negotiation skills.
- Excellent computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software); Diplomacy and negotiation skills;
- A valid class 5 Driver’s License and criminal record check.
In return, what you can expect:
- Extremely competitive salary and annual Northern Allowance.
Only candidates already eligible to work in Canada will be reviewed. Only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Fit is important to us and it’s important to the companies we partner with. At The Headhunters we understand that finding your next dream role is not just about aligning your skills with a job description. It is about knowing your personality, workstyle and career goals. Learn more about our specialized recruitment services at www.theheadhunters.ca.