The Headhunters hosted a webinar with guest speaker Dr. Howie Outerbridge on How to Optimize LinkedIn to Build Your Personal Brand.
He shared several great tips on how to use LinkedIn to its full potential!
Dr. Howie Outerbridge is Vice President Client Solutions of Logan HR. His background includes over 15 years of experience in learning, career exploration and the development of people in a variety of settings including private industry, community-based career centres and post-secondary institutions. These experiences help him work with organizations to consult on a range of topics including career management, downsizing and leadership solutions. He is an active mentor in the community and regularly gives his time to those that are in transition, and/or struggling to manage their careers.
We learned a lot from Dr. Outerbridge during this webinar! Here are some of the key take-aways:
- LinkedIn is extremely prevalent in the market today. It has 500 million+ members in over 200 countries. Two new members join LinkedIn every second, and over 3 million jobs are posted on LinkedIn every month.
- In today’s job market it is very difficult to search for work without a LinkedIn profile; prospective employers expect to be able to find you there.
- Use LinkedIn to:
- Manage your professional identity
- Build & manage your professional network
- Access knowledge, insights & opportunities
- Follow organizations and connect with people on LinkedIn to build your network. You will then be able to see in your feed what they like, share, and comment on. You can use the drop-down menu to customize what you see in your feed (hide, unfollow, get recommended sources to follow, etc.). Read more here »
- The strength of your profile will increase as you add more relevant content to it. Once you have completed seven basic requirements, you will receive an “All-Star” profile rating. People with All-Star ratings are 40 times more likely to come up in LinkedIn searches! Read more here »
- Profile photo
- Industry & location
- An up-to-date current position (with a description)
- Two past positions
- Skills (minimum of three)
- At least 50 connections
- It’s important to have searchable terms included in your profile; if you do not include key information about your skills and specialties, recruiters and employers will not be able to find you!
- There are several adjustments and additions you can make in order to take your profile to the next level, including choosing the right profile photo and background photo, adjusting your headline, customizing your URL, adding a summary, and more. Watch the webinar for advice from Howie on how to make these changes effectively and for more tips to optimize your profile!
- Interact with your network. Liking, commenting, and sharing are all ways to engage, but they are not all equal. Liking is a bit lazy, commenting is better, sharing is the ultimate!
- Join LinkedIn Groups that are relevant to you in order to network and stay in touch with trends.